Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Maybe I haven't earned my Geek title....

In retrospect I should have known the geek thing was just dormant.

In high school I certainly wasn't the coolest chick on the block. I did Drama and the Speech Team (three time State champion in Duo Interp., finalist in Nationals three times thankyouverymuch). I had some cool redeeming qualities: my boyfriend for most of my High School days was a basketball player. I hung out with a bunch of cool kids, they just weren't in my grade (I hung out with all the cool boys in the grade below mine). I didn't dress geeky, but then again I didn't really have any kind of style. I read a lot. I went to local rock shows (but still listened to Phish*).

Despite it all the number one reason I'm a geek today is because in 6th grade the library was right across from my homeroom. Last night on the couch, out of no where, I remembered a series of books that I used to love. I just couldn't remember the name. After an hour of googling (dragon + witch + teenage novels + red hair + strings) and waning patience it just came to me: Dealing with Dragons.

That series right there was the little geek seed planted into the woman I am today.

There is nothing really special I have to tell you about the books. They were like candy. A world in which my little 6th grade imagination could have a boyfriend that's a prince and literally talk to dragons. I was hooked. Next thing I know I'm flying through the entire fantasy section. I'm going on aol chat rooms on the weekend talking about my new found love for lands that don't exist. I have Magic: the Gathering cards. I'm one of them.

Today that is not the case. I actually feel like I'm not geek enough to be cool. I'm constantly trying to fit in with my geek friends. Hell, I'm constantly trying to fit in with my geek boyfriend. I don't have enough time in the day to get through all of the comics (I still haven't finished Sandman... I mean I'm in trouble here). I can barely hold my own with Watchmen discussions cause I've only read it once (a book worth rereading.. I would say a requirement). So here I am in this weird limbo.

Not quite a geek, not quite cool.

So I'm on a mission. To become fully versed over the next few months. On my list of things to do:
  • Watch Star Wars (never seen em)

  • Get some friends together for a role playing game (I've been wanting to do this for a while.. I bet Bobby would host a game).

  • Finish reading: Sandman, Y the Last Man, and Runaways.

  • Make a new City of Heroes character

  • Attend the Boston Con.

If you have any other ideas for Geeking out... I'm in. Let me know.



* Okay Phish you and I need to talk. You broke up. I saw people's lives get crushed after your last concert. People were literally saying"what do we do now?" because all they did was follow you around. I used to love you, but I was 15 and didn't realize there was life beyond the Jam Band.. or even the fact that there were jam bands out there that could change my life (Hello! Built to Spill!). I've seen you live tons of times. But I hate the following you ended up with because it was weird that people had a dependancy on you. Now that you guys are back I'm scared. That's all. Jerry's dead. Phish broke up. Get a job.

3 comments:

  1. No one is a geek if they haven't seen Star Wars. That's like a Day 0 requirement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, let's watch Star Wars together. I haven't seen any since... I think I was dating Tim.
    P.S I just found your blog (where have I been? Thank you, Twitter) and I heart your it. And you. Gush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get some friends together for a role playing game (I've been wanting to do this for a while.. I bet Bobby would host a game).

    If Bobby won't, I will. But Bobby probably will.

    ReplyDelete