Monday, August 31, 2009

Viva


St. Anthony's always marks the end of the summer for me. Since I was a little girl spending the feast weekends at my Dad's house in the North End, all summer breaks led up to the last one in August. Friends would come in to experience to exotic world of fried dough and rice balls, totally falling in love with the boys selling slush, and sticky sweaty nights getting lost in crowds.

This was a great summer. It might be one of the best I've ever had. Countless weekends away with friends and family with no stressful time restrictions. I wasn't able to perform with NXT due to scheduling conflicts (among other things) and with that boost I choose to take the summer off from Improv with the exception of the occasional FNFO show. The decision resulted in time - quality time - spent with friends that I've some how neglected. I had more time with Ted, renewing lost parts of our relationship; I mean let's face it - improv leads to neglecting him too. By doing all this, my improv has actually improved. Decisions and risks have been stronger. Group bonds have been renewed. A lot of goals have been put into perspective.

Last night slow dancing with Ted for just a few minutes while the band played and friends watched on marked a highlight for me. Lights and garlands were shining over head, people were laughing and singing. Confetti covered the ground, folding chairs with older ladies occupying the street where cars would normally be parked bumper to bumper. A small moment of perspective looking up at Ted, and a little bit of bitter sadness that This is it folks. Until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment