Thursday, September 3, 2009

One of the regulars.

If you're reading this you're probably one of my friends. If you're one of my friends you probably have a bar that you're a regular at. If you're a certain kind of friend you're probably reading this post on your phone at that bar over a beer.

In my life I've had a few tried and true bars that have been a second home to me: The Spoke in Amherst, The Field in Cambridge, and the Corner Cafe* in the North End.

Now, for my friends that may not be a lushy as I am that are wondering "how do I know if I'm a regular?" Here is a check list:
  • Do you know the entire staff, if not by name than by nick name you have made up?
  • Do they know your name?
  • Do you feel comfortable going into this bar by yourself?
  • Have you had a drink "bought for you" by the bartender?
  • Does the staff look out for your well being? If a guy/girl you don't like is hitting on you does the bar tender play wing man?
  • Do they know your drinks?
  • Have they let you stay past close?
  • Do you frequent there more than once a week?
  • Do you tip the staff more than 50% on occasion?
  • Have you ever spent more than 6 hours there?
  • Would you consider inviting the staff/other regulars to your wedding?
  • Do you have a certain seat that when someone is sitting in it you get pissed?
  • Have you gone to this bar in your pajamas?
  • If your friends can't get in touch with you via cell do they go and check for you at this bar?
  • Have you pooped in their bathroom? Come on... this is a big deal.
Now friends, if you have done 12 out of 15 of these you are a true regular (at least in my book).

Do you have a bar you would consider yourself a regular at?


*What did you think the corner has a website? Silly.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, absolutely. Being a regular is so the way to go. No shame! :-)

    ReplyDelete