Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Black Bird- The Beatles

We were on the 7th grade ski trip and I was sitting next to my best friend (before she found God) and we were using code names for the boys we liked, and the girls we didn't. I forget his code name now, but Noah was sitting behind us and every single beat of my 12 year old heart was for him. He was small, he wore glasses, and he had a bowl cut like all cool boys in 1995.

Noah and I started talking in low soft voices, asking each other questions through the crack in the seat partition. Some where on the chaperoned bus a group of kids were trying to play strip poker, not getting off much more than socks and hats. As Vanessa went to join the others, Noah asked me what my favorite song was. This was a tough one; he was cool with a good sense of music early on and the fate of our my potential first boyfriend rested on this answer. I took a moment and told him. He was impressed and approved, and though Noah and I never became boyfriend and girlfriend he did grab my hand once that weekend while he was dancing at a dance that no one else would dance at. I was so shy that I blushed and ran off, replaying the moment over and over in my head.

4 years later I had a long term boyfriend who was smart and kind and my first real love. I can still remember how he smells today. He's married in New York and probably doing really well for himself - at least I hope so and I mean that without a trace of bitterness unlike other boy who broke my heart down the line. Noah and Tom had become friends and we were hanging out a lot. Noah invited us over his house...I forget what we went there to do, probably just watch a movie. We sat in his living room, chatting and laughing when Noah stopped and said "Oh, Shannon I have something for you." He got up and went into the other room and emerged with his guitar. He sat down in front of the T.V., Tom and I his audience, and started tuning. In the next moment the first chords of Black Bird came on. He played through the song easily - it's a sweet easy tune and I've never met anyone who doesn't like it.

He finished and I said "That used to be my favorite song."

"I know," Noah replied "you told me in 7th grade and I went home to learn it. I guess I didn't get a chance to show you until now."

Tom didn't understand the gravity of that situation and I don't think I ever explained it to him.

I had a dream about Noah last night, I haven't thought about him in probably 10 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment